Do U(X) believe in magic?
Published on 22 Jan 2020.
Reading time: 1 min.
Late last year I had the opportunity to give a talk that was an introduction to user experience design, which compared it with magic. While UX and magic may seem quite sound unrelated, I argue there’s a lot in common.
There are three areas in particular where both are similar, and where knowledge as a magician can help inform how to create the best experience for users of a digital product. They are:
- Telling a story or having a narrative journey.
- Controlling and directing attention.
- Giving an experience of wonder.
You can watch a full recording of me giving the talk here:
I’ve given this talk at:
- Design Lab in London in September 2019
- Horizons (AND Digital) in Leeds in October 2019